I'm making final corrections to my thesis and, as others (e.g. here and here, on this site) have mentioned, showing the changes you've made from one file to the next to supervisors/examiners is extremely useful.
Unfortunately, my files seem too big and complex for latexdiff to work. I have tried using
latexFlatten and creating a ld.cfg file, both solutions mentioned in the above links. I have also tried using sed to remove all caption, listing and equation environments as these seem to be causing the problems.
But I simply cannot make it work and am thinking: there must be a simpler solution actually involving latexdiff and some intelligent tag.
So I've created a reproducible example (apologies it is not simple): my old project can be downloaded from here; my new one can be downloaded here. Assuming you unzip the files in a Unix home directory and start in the directory of the new thesis (
cd ~/thesisNew/), the following should reproduce my problems:
latexdiff --flatten ../thesisOld/Thesis.tex Thesis.tex > dif.tex
As you will see dif.tex does not compile, and much of the text is garbled.
I'm at my wit's end with this and hoping it'll be of use to others tearing their hair out at the performance of latexdiff with big projects like theses.