Given an equation, say Bayes' rule,

$P(X \mid O) \propto P(X)P(O \mid X)$

how do I label the different parts of the equation using curly braces?

  • 3
    Ah braces, that what they're called. A Google search to "latex moustache" didn't lead me to \overbrace – Paul Nov 3 '14 at 21:30
  • 3
    @Paul: Your comment will help the next person. – Neil G Mar 4 '15 at 11:33

I think you're after the \underbrace and \overbrace commands, which you could use as

$\underbrace{P(X \mid O)}_{p_1} \propto \overbrace{P(X)P(O \mid X)}^{p_2}$.

Which results in:

Under- and overbraces

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.