What symbol should I use for a set complement? It seems that the \complement isn't quite appropriate: it seems taller (perhaps a unary operator to appear before a set?). I guess for now \mathsf{c} works.

  • 4
    The amsfonts symbol \complement is often used, but there's no general consensus about an "official" symbol. I've seen it denoted in several different ways (personally, I don't like \complement).
    – egreg
    Apr 17, 2011 at 7:56
  • Have a look at “How to look up a math symbol?” for ideas how you can easily find a particular symbol. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:58
  • 9
    Since the notion of a complement requires a containing set, if that set has a name, say X, then you can simply write $X\setminus A$ where A is the set for which you want the complement.
    – TH.
    Apr 17, 2011 at 8:06

1 Answer 1


As the commenters have said, there isn't a strong consensus on this one. Here are a few conventions I know about:


    \stcomp{(A \cup B)} = \stcomp{A} \cap \stcomp{B}


\newcommand{\stcomp}[1]{{#1}^\complement}  \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{\overline{#1}}           \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{{#1'}}           \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{\widetilde{#1}}           \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{{#1}^{\sim}}           \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{{#1}^{\mathsf{c}}}           \eqn
\renewcommand{\stcomp}[1]{X\setminus{#1}}           \eqn


sample code

Of all of these I've used ^\complement the most, and the overbar is the one I've seen the most. I have to say I really like your ^\mathsf{c} implementation.

  • 1
    My textbooks use the minus sign, so that $X - A$ picks out the set of members of X that aren't in A. Is the minus sign commonly used for something else?
    – twofeet
    Feb 18, 2013 at 21:04
  • 5
    If X is an abelian monoid (i.e., has a subtraction operation) then X-A could be the set of all elements of X which can be expressed as difference of elements of X and A. But I can't say that's a very popular usage. I would be reluctant to use the minus sign when \setminus is available. Feb 20, 2013 at 20:40
  • 1
    Twofeet, do you mean that your textbooks write $-A$ for the complement of $A$ or simply that they write $X - A$ for the set difference? Either way, I suppose that $\setminus{A}$ (or $\setminus A$) would also be an option for the complement. Dec 5, 2016 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.