I'm writing a file about algebraic topology, which means that I need all sorts of mathematical symbols, along with many various packages. I tried to use MnSymbol for its various arrows, only to find out that it is incompatible with amssymb and amsfonts.

Cutting out those two packages introduces new problems: \mathbb{..} doesn't work.

How is a mathematician supposed to use MnSymbol?

Currently, I am using the following packages: etex, babel, inputenc, fontenc, charter, MnSymbol, amsmath, ntheorem, framed, tikz, bookmark, hyperref, xy, mathtools, graphicx, animate, color, subfigure, caption, verbatim, multirow, longtable, wrapfig, cancel, enumitem, tocloft, geometry, stmaryrd, ulem, titlesec, fix-cm.


MnSymbol is indeed imcompatible with amssymb and amsfonts. To use the AMS blackboard font in conjunction with MnSymbol, you can add the following to the preamble of your document:


By the way, which symbol do you use from stmaryrd? If there is a similar symbol in MnSymbol, I would suggest to use that one for more consistency.

| improve this answer | |
  • From stmaryrd, I'm using blackboard braces [...]. I see, that MnSymbol also includes them, so thanks for a good suggestion. – Leo May 4 '11 at 15:55
  • I have a REQUEST: I'm using $\ssearrow$ to denote a deformation retraction. I wanted to use the same arrow, but with two heads for a strong deformation retraction. It doesn't exist, even in MnSymbol. Would you be so kind to write me a command \newcommand{\twoheadssearrow}[0]{...}, which adds to \ssearrow another head. I would be really really grateful (I have no idea how to do it). Should I make a new thread for this? This is the only thing I was looking for in MnSymbol, and now I see it isn't included in the package. – Leo May 4 '11 at 16:01
  • You mean a double-headed version \sesearrow? Indeed, I think it is best if you pose a new question for this. – Michael Ummels May 4 '11 at 20:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.