2

Hi I basically want to use biblatex instead of apacite. When I try run the following code, it just doesn't run:

\begin{filecontents}{myref.bib}
@ARTICLE{ref1,
   author    = "A. E. Gill",
   title     = "Some Simple Solutions for Heat-Induced Tropical Circulation",
   journal   = "Quart. J. R. Met. Soc.",
   volume    = 106,
   year      = 1980,
   pages     = "447-462",
}
@BOOK{TeX,
   author    = "D. E. Knuth",
   title     = "The \tex/book",
   publisher = "Addison-Wesley",
   year      = 1984,
   note      = "Describes \tex/ in detail",
}
\end{filecontents}

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[style=apa, backend=bibtex]{biblatex}
%\usepackage[american]{babel}
%\DeclareLanguageMapping{american}{american-apa}
\bibliography{myref}

\title{Example Title}
\author{Author Name}

\begin{document}
\maketitle
First line. 

Reference is \textcite{ref1} and \cite{TeX}.

\printbibliography
\end{document}

When I delete backend=bibtex, it gives an output but instead of "Reference is Gill (1980) ..." it writes: "Reference is ref1 ...". What can be possibly wrong here?

UPDATE: After fiddling around, I discovered that (with the help of comments of course) the problem is with my system and I guess biber is still buggy. Here is what I did to solve my problem:

  1. Previously I had Miktex 2.9 64 bit version. It turns out that biber is not included in that version (Source). I reinstall Miktex 32 bit version and it worked.
  2. I had to change default bibliography engine in TexStudio from bibtex to biber.
  3. Also, running TexStudio in administrator mode helped. Check here.
  4. biber has problems with special characters, i.e. % sign (Check here). It is buggy even though they claim to solve it (Check here). Check the URL's and abstracts whether there is a special character. Delete them (what a bummer)..

closed as off-topic by Guido, Heiko Oberdiek, Adam Liter, Werner, barbara beeton Apr 30 '14 at 20:27

  • This question does not fall within the scope of TeX, LaTeX or related typesetting systems as defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Because you have to use biber instead of bibtex to compile the references. – Guido Apr 29 '14 at 18:33
  • 5
    As Guide has pointed out, you will have to use Biber. Although in general it is not necessarily required to use Biber, biblatex-apa requires Biber. So you cannot use backend=bibtex, you have to specify backend=biber (or delete the backend option altogether, then backend=biber will be assumed) and run Biber. Maybe Biblatex with Biber: Configuring my editor to avoid undefined citations and How to use biber can help you. – moewe Apr 29 '14 at 18:39
  • @Guido @moewe, Thanks for explanations. I believe there is something wrong with the compiler I use TexStudio. Because, even though I used the same code as the first comment here, I failed. Also, I tried to add backend=biber to the same code I wrote above with a biber library I downloaded from here. Failed again. Anyway thanks for help.. – HBat Apr 29 '14 at 21:20
  • 1
    If the editor seems to have problems, it is a good idea to see if you make things work from the command line. – jon Apr 29 '14 at 23:11
  • 4
    This question appears to be off-topic because the problem was solve by reinstalling a TeX distribution – Guido Apr 30 '14 at 19:27