I've seen MANY papers created with LaTeX that have the following format:

enter image description here

enter image description here

In particular, I like the font sizes and the way that section titles are centered and in all caps. Does anyone know if there is a document class for this look? I'm sure there is something for it since I've seen so many papers that look exactly like this... Thanks!

  • 2
    Looks like amsart.
    – lhf
    Jun 12, 2014 at 2:55
  • 4
    You can download the paper source from the arXiv. In this case they use \documentclass[12pt, a4paper]{amsart}
    – Lev Bishop
    Jun 12, 2014 at 2:57
  • What are the margins typically used on papers created using this class? Just the default ones or something special? I particularly like them on the second paper I posted. Jun 12, 2014 at 5:19
  • 1
    the first example is almost certainly amsart, but the second one, if based on amsart, doesn't have the default dimensions or the default type style for the authors. amsart has a default 30pc width; the second example appears wider. (changing the width on amsart is not completely trivial.) Jun 12, 2014 at 13:04

1 Answer 1


It's amsart, a standard document class from the American Mathematical Society used in its journals and widely elsewhere, e.g., in arXiv. It's part of AMS-LaTeX.

  • 1
    AMS-LaTeX has been split in two on ctan and in tex live; the two parts are amscls (the classes and amsthm) and `amsmath'. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.