4

I'm running Windows 7 and have to run a special class file for my thesis. I've tried holding the file 'tutthesis.cls' in the same directory as the .tex file itself, but that didn't work. I also tried to install the class using method given here: http://docs.miktex.org/2.8/manual/localadditions.html

My code looks like this

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper,finnish]{tutthesis}

And it gives the error

! LaTeX Error: File `tutthesis.cls' not found.

Using the local addition method, my root folder was

C:\Local TeX Files

Which itself looked like

C:\Local TeX Files\tex\latex\misc\tutthesis.cls

just as given in the example. I've tried naming the directories differently (misc -> tutthesis) but so far nothing has worked, even though I've gone through various similar questions on this site.

I hope I didn't forget any crucial information. Any ideas what might work?

**

EDIT: The log file from a small test document located in the same folder (hopefully this is what you asked for):

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (MiKTeX 2.9) (preloaded format=pdflatex 2014.7.1)  2 JUL 2014 18:08
entering extended mode
**testi.tex
(C:\KOULU\Kandi\LaTeX\testi.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, afrikaans, ancientgreek, ar
abic, armenian, assamese, basque, bengali, bokmal, bulgarian, catalan, coptic, 
croatian, czech, danish, dutch, esperanto, estonian, farsi, finnish, french, ga
lician, german, german-x-2013-05-26, greek, gujarati, hindi, hungarian, iceland
ic, indonesian, interlingua, irish, italian, kannada, kurmanji, latin, latvian,
 lithuanian, malayalam, marathi, mongolian, mongolianlmc, monogreek, ngerman, n
german-x-2013-05-26, nynorsk, oriya, panjabi, pinyin, polish, portuguese, roman
ian, russian, sanskrit, serbian, slovak, slovenian, spanish, swedish, swissgerm
an, tamil, telugu, turkish, turkmen, ukenglish, ukrainian, uppersorbian, usengl
ishmax, welsh, loaded.
("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\base\article.cls"
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\base\size12.clo"
File: size12.clo 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
)
\c@part=\count79
\c@section=\count80
\c@subsection=\count81
\c@subsubsection=\count82
\c@paragraph=\count83
\c@subparagraph=\count84
\c@figure=\count85
\c@table=\count86
\abovecaptionskip=\skip41
\belowcaptionskip=\skip42
\bibindent=\dimen102
)

LaTeX Warning: Unused global option(s):
    [finnish].

(C:\KOULU\Kandi\LaTeX\testi.aux)
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OML/cmm/m/it on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for T1/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OT1/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMS/cmsy/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for OMX/cmex/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    Checking defaults for U/cmr/m/n on input line 3.
LaTeX Font Info:    ... okay on input line 3.
 [1

{C:/ProgramData/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}] (C:\KOULU\Kandi\LaTeX\tes
ti.aux) ) 
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 206 strings out of 493921
 2276 string characters out of 3144874
 49031 words of memory out of 3000000
 3584 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
 3938 words of font info for 15 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
 841 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 22i,4n,21p,137b,107s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,50000s
<C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr1
2.pfb>
Output written on testi.pdf (1 page, 10414 bytes).
PDF statistics:
 10 PDF objects out of 1000 (max. 8388607)
 0 named destinations out of 1000 (max. 500000)
 1 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 10000 (max. 10000000)

closed as off-topic by Johannes_B, JPi, Claudio Fiandrino, Jagath, Jesse Aug 6 '16 at 16:41

  • This question does not fall within the scope of TeX, LaTeX or related typesetting systems as defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Imho the name of the class is tudthesis.cls (with dt and not tt). – Ulrike Fischer Jul 1 '14 at 8:32
  • I have no idea where you got that from. The class is definitely named 'tutthesis.cls'. It was created with that name to be used within our university. – Veikko Jul 1 '14 at 20:06
  • 1
    Well a tudthesis.cls exists. And a typo in the name is a quite probable cause of your problem. Did you update the fndb after you put the file in the local tree. – Ulrike Fischer Jul 1 '14 at 20:12
  • Oh, that makes more sense now. But yes, I tried updating FNDB and also changing the directory name into C:\Latex\... so that there were no spaces. No difference. – Veikko Jul 1 '14 at 21:16
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because Windows was once again hiding the file ending. – Johannes_B Aug 6 '16 at 15:38