I have a beamer talk to be presented. The screen is 16:9, but the system is set up in such a way that 4:3 information is sent to the projector and then non-uniformly scaled to 16:9, causing, of course, very bad and ugly effects. However, I'm not allowed/able to change it.

Therefore I would like to prepare PDF slides in such a way that I make 16:9 slides and stretch them in one direction to fit in 4:3 page. I tried to understand the pgfpages manual and it seems that there's a xscale option, which is probably what I look for. However, it is an argument to \pgfpageslogicalpageoptions which doesn't make any sense to me.

So, how can I make the following MWE output slides like the one below?

Remark 1: The correct value is xscale=(4:3)/(16:9)=0.75.

Remark 2: Post-processing the PDF file by an external application is an option, too. However, it should keep the vector structure of the file and not convert it to a bitmap (like convert from ImageMagick does).



% what to put here?


\frametitle{16:9 to 4:3}

\Huge A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R

\centerline{a square $\rightarrow$ \rule{2cm}{2cm} $\leftarrow$ or not?}


enter image description here

  • One woudl have to know how the projector works. – John Kormylo Jul 8 '14 at 13:54
  • @JohnKormylo Well, will a 30-page talk, I think I would prefer to have a bad talk than to learn a very new thing the night before the talk :) As well, pgfpages are independent of beamer. What is texpower about? – yo' Jul 8 '14 at 13:57
  • Please ignore my first remark. You need to do this in two stages: first create the pdf 16x9, then convert to 4x3. – John Kormylo Jul 8 '14 at 14:00
  • It appears that pdfpages ALWAYS preserves the aspect ratio. – John Kormylo Jul 8 '14 at 14:19

It seems you can get pdfpages to change the aspect ratio after all. The original 16x9 document was stored in file test.pdf




Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.