What's the command for typing 3 lines exactly like \equiv but with index in the middle of top line? Thanks.

EDIT: this is the symbol I meant enter image description here

  • Welcome to TeX.SE. Oct 17, 2014 at 20:07
  • Have you tried detexify to look up the symbol of interest? (I must confess not knowing what 'index in the middle of top line" is supposed to look like.)
    – Mico
    Oct 17, 2014 at 20:08
  • I've updated post with image of the symbol. And yes I've tried detexify but no result.
    – mezo
    Oct 17, 2014 at 20:24
  • i'm pretty sure this "precomposed" symbol doesn't exist. you might take a look at \stackrel (basic latex command) or \overset (requires amsmath) to construct it yourself. Oct 17, 2014 at 20:27
  • Thanks ;) overset{0}{\equiv} did it.
    – mezo
    Oct 17, 2014 at 20:31

1 Answer 1


this does not exist as a "precomposed" symbol. however, amsmath provides a mechanism for creating combinations of this sort -- \overset:

$ x \overset{0}{\equiv} y $

output of example code

when \overset is applied to a single symbol, the proper class of that symbol (e.g., \mathrel, \mathbin) is recognized automatically, so there is no need to specify it.

of course, if the compound symbol is to be used more than once, it's a good idea to define a command to access it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .