After browsing through related threads, I am now of the understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) that the rule of thumb is to use the \bigl,\bigr pair with brackets, parentheses, etc. for operators like sums, products, and integrals, and \left,\right in all other cases.

I only recently found out about \middle , which has solved what had been a vexing problem for me: delimiters for function arguments (slashes, bars) not scaling properly. Leafing through my cheatsheet has not been of much help, so I wish to ask: is there an equivalent of \middle for \bigl and \bigr, or would the use of \middle along with that pair not be gauche?

2 Answers 2


\bigm, \Bigm, etc.


Also, if you need the large middle delimiters for typing set-builder or bra-ket notation, you can use the \Set{...|...}, \Braket{...|...}, \Bra{...}, and \Ket{...} commands from the braket package.

You must log in to answer this question.