I was looking for a way to center text underneath math symbols such as constraints or regions. More specifically, from vector calculus, if we were to have a double integral bounded by some region D, then we would have the two integral signs with a D underneath. It looks like the D_1 and D_2 as seen below.

Double Integral over General Region D

  • 1
    I leave this to the math-experts here, but it sounds after a job of \stackrel[below]{main}{above} (stackrel package) in the general case and a simple \iint_{D} or \iint\limits_{D} for the double integral (with the amsmath package). Jun 30, 2011 at 7:03
  • @Martin: Thanks. The \iint\limits_{D} did the trick. It was the \limits I believe that was needed. I have a question about the \stackrel[below]{main}{above}, what type of text or math code would actually goes in the "below" ,"main", and "above" fields?
    – night owl
    Jun 30, 2011 at 7:16
  • 1
    about \stackrel: Most likely any math code as well as text inside \mbox{..} or better \text{..}. Jun 30, 2011 at 7:32
  • 1
    @Martin: with all respect due to Heiko Oberdiek, I don't think that \stackrel or \stackbin are the answer (they build relations and binary operations). First of all one should consider \overset and \underset from amsmath (which already do a good job of recognizing automatically the math kind of the main object).
    – egreg
    Jun 30, 2011 at 8:23
  • @egreg: Thanks, as stated above I'm not an expert with math. The \stack... just sounded good for this case. :-) Jun 30, 2011 at 8:29

1 Answer 1


I cannot see this:


\[ \iint\limits_{D_1} f(x,y)\mathrm{d}A \] 


enter image description here

  • @Herbet: What do you mean by you cannot see the code? The output?
    – night owl
    Jun 30, 2011 at 7:33
  • @night owl: I cannot see that the D1 is not centered below the double integral
    – user2478
    Jun 30, 2011 at 7:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.