Does anyone know of the symbol used for the center of mass in physics? Typically it is a circle with two quadrants shaded in. Unfortunately I can't find this in the standard LaTeX symbols PDF or on Detexify.

Is there a predefined command for this symbol or some other way I could get it?


I don't think it's available as a proper symbol, but you could use TikZ to draw it. By using the units em or ex, the symbol will scale corresponding to the surrounding text.

dowel pin / center of mass / BMW symbol



    \tikz[radius=0.4em] {%
        \fill (0,0) -- ++(0.4em,0) arc [start angle=0,end angle=90] -- ++(0,-0.8em) arc [start angle=270, end angle=180];%
        \draw (0,0) circle;%


Center of Mass: \centerofmass

\Huge It scales! \centerofmass

| improve this answer | |
  • Adding the line \fill [color=white] (0,0) -- ++(0,0.4em) arc [start angle=90,end angle=180] -- ++(0.8em,0) arc [start angle=0, end angle=-90];% before \draw (0,0) circle;% allows this to be put on a dark background nicer by filling in the "white" parts with white. – BeaumontTaz Sep 19 '14 at 21:23

This can be generated via the stix symbols \circleurquadblack:

enter image description here




$\circleurquadblack\ \centerofmass$

| improve this answer | |
  • For those who are interested in moving the dowelpin around: \node at (x,y) {$\centerofmass$}; – Herpes Free Engineer May 3 '18 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.