2

This question already has an answer here:

I am looking for a broader, fatter Computer Modern and I already found out that the only way to do this correctly is to use MetaFont to create a different version of Computer Modern.

The idea is now to find a good and matching MetaFont File for my purposes and to generate a TrueType Font from it to be able to use this font via LuaLaTeX. I am working on OS X so there is no way to automatically let FontForge correct the font output by mf2pt1 and I have no knowledge whatsoever on MetaFont, typography and so and so forth, apart from that I don't have the time to fiddle with the files just by trial and error, there are just too many parameters that concern the font weight for this.

My question: Has anyone here ever dealt with this problem and maybe already came up with a solution in the form of a working MetaFont File? The results I get are very shitty to be honest, often I have big artifacts because of strange intersections and new nodes.

What the result should optimally look like is something like this:

Font on the top left corner is usual CM, the rest is made thicker with pdfrender. pdfreader doesnt use subpixel rendering, and even no Antialiasing at all, Preview is broken in Yosemite.

Please don't care too much for the language being german, it's just a document I tried it on.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

marked as duplicate by musarithmia, Symbol 1, R. Schumacher, cfr, Svend Tveskæg Apr 8 '15 at 3:02

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    why use cm at all rather than just choose a different font family? – David Carlisle Apr 7 '15 at 21:45
  • I actually do like the font a lot, if it were a little bolder it would be perfect. I often encounter big problems reading it on pdf readers that don't have good anti aliasing like subpixel rendering, but even in printed form it would be a nice to have. – Friedrich Apr 7 '15 at 21:47
  • 2
    Sorry, but a project like this would involve a huge investment in term of time, for a result that is probably not as good as you expect. – egreg Apr 7 '15 at 22:52
  • 1
    See also tex.stackexchange.com/questions/110569/…. – cfr Apr 8 '15 at 11:06
  • 1
    @cfr I came up with a different solution, it works but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it as I didn't check the whole copyright stuff yet: Using FontForge to embolden the Latin Modern Fonts gives me a useable thing, it works great with XeLaTeX. – Friedrich Apr 9 '15 at 20:59