What does these commands, \wd, \tp and \ht stand for? I assumed that they are from TikZ and PGF, because I haven't seen them elsewhere.

I think the \wd stands for "width" and the \ht stands for "height", and they somehow obtain the width and the height of the shape that comes after.

I would like to know if I am right about that. Then I would like to know what \tp stands for, and finally I want to ask, if there is any other such commands out there.

I looked for them in the manual to no avail, then also on Google, but the phrase is just too short, probably.

  • 5
    I think you mean \wd, \ht and \dp (not \tp) which are TeX primitives for getting the width, height and depth of a box. See chapter 5 "Boxes" in "TeX by Topic" by Victor Eijkhout for some suitably gory details. You can get it here. – Mark Wibrow May 7 '15 at 13:57
  • @MarkWibrow An answer? – egreg Aug 1 '15 at 21:52
  • @egreg Should be... – ThoAppelsin Aug 3 '15 at 18:31

\wd, \ht and \dp (not \tp) are TeX primitives for getting the width, height and depth of a box (respectively).

So, for example,

\setbox\mybox=\hbox{\vrule width10pt height20pt depth 30pt}
\typeout{width=\the\wd\mybox, height=\the\ht\mybox, depth=\the\dp\mybox}

will produce

width=10.0pt, height=20.0pt, depth=30.0pt

Somewhere in the log-file.

More details on boxes can be found in chapter 5 ("Boxes") from TeX by Topic by Victor Eijkhout.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.