3

I am trying to recompile a document in kwrite; I previously compiled it all OK under debian squeeze about 6 months ago, but I now have an opensuse 11.2 (kwrite-4.3.5-0.1.1.x86_64).

A few problems have cropped up in the recompile 1) \begin{enumerate}...\end{enumerate} are undefined 2) \begin{itemize}...\end{itemize} are also undefined 3) all my captions now lead to undefined control errors

Example output:

1)

! Undefined control sequence.
\enit@endenumerate ->\enit@after 
                                 \endlist \enit@toks \expandafter {\enit@sav...
l.163 \end{enumerate}

2)
[9]
! Undefined control sequence.
\enit@enditemize ->\enit@after 
                               \endlist \enit@toks \expandafter {\enit@savek...

3)
! Undefined control sequence.
\captiontextfont@default ->\cpb@font 

l.144 ...d compositions as estimated by weighing.}

Any advice?

Also, the captcha on this site is really broken. disabling javascript just throws a (framed) content-length required error and shows a google page (WTF?) Secondly, I had to enter it in 4 times (after enabling javascript) because (I didn't have tags, I had invalid tags, I had a bad captcha (unreadable) and then I got a good one); Is there somewhere I can report this?

Edit:

  • Could not report bug. Would not let me post my question "your openID (?) is incorrect", but there was no field (even with javascript) to enter this. ???

  • Here is the minimal example that was asked for in the discussion (Am I meant to just keep editing my posts??)

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,openright,twoside]{thesis}


\usepackage{enumitem}
\usepackage{paralist} %fancy list of figures

\title{A b C d e f g}

\author{me}\vspace{4ex}
\date{2010}

\begin{document}

\pagestyle{empty} \hspace{1pt} \pagebreak


\pagestyle{plain}

\begin{abstract}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Abstract}
\vspace{1ex}
Stuff.

\end{abstract}

\cleardoublepage

{

\cleardoublepage
\mbox{}
\cleardoublepage

%back to 1,2,3 style numbering
\pagenumbering{arabic}

\begin{itemize}
 \item One
\end{itemize}

\end{document}

Caption minimal example:


\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,openright,twoside]{thesis}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\usepackage{caption}
\title{asdf}
\author{me}\vspace{4ex}

\date{2010}

\begin{document}

\begin{abstract}
Lalalla
\end{abstract}

\begin{figure}
\includegraphics[width=0.95 \textwidth]{test.png}
\caption{Caption test}
\label{fig:test}
\end{figure}

\pagestyle{empty}
\thispagestyle{plain}


\end{document}


This results in:

  ! Undefined control sequence. \captionlabelfont@default ->\cph@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} ! Undefined control sequence. \captionlabelfont@default ->\cph@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} ! Undefined control sequence. \captiontextfont@default ->\cpb@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} ! Undefined control sequence. \captionlabelfont@default ->\cph@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} ! Undefined control sequence. \captionlabelfont@default ->\cph@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} ! Undefined control sequence. \captiontextfont@default ->\cpb@font l.19 \caption{Caption test} 
[2 ] (./test.aux) ) (see the transcript file for additional information) Output written on test.pdf (2 pages, 471338 bytes). Transcript written on test.log.
  • You can report your issues with the site on meta. – TH. Aug 28 '10 at 12:28
  • For the TeX question, please add a minimal example that illustrates your problem. – TH. Aug 28 '10 at 12:28
  • 7
    Try to load paralist before enumitem. – lockstep Aug 28 '10 at 13:22
  • OK, that fixes the itemize problem, thanks a lot -- I would have not have thought to do that. I was under the impression each package is relatively non-interacting, so usepackage order is not super-critical. Can someone explain this black magic? I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes, and why this fixes it. Also, I will try to narrow down the caption problem. – Someone Aug 28 '10 at 14:20
  • 3
    Well both packages (enumitem and paralist) redefines the standard list environments. So using both packages in a document is certainly "dangerous". – Ulrike Fischer Aug 28 '10 at 15:40
5

Regarding your caption problem. I don't get any error. I would suspect that your caption.sty is too old.

I have caption.sty 2010/01/09 v3.1m Customizing captions (AR)

0

OK, So for anyone out there; the UWA style file thesis is broken with my version of caption. Similar problems have been reported with upgrades to caption breaking university style files.

I have no ability to edit custom style files, I just use them.

As a work around, as suggested at http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/problem-with-caption-in-Mactex-2009-td3988716.html#a3989331 (or http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2009-November/041847.html), is to use ccaption, instead of caption. The result is different (and less nice looking), but it works.

Unfortunately, the caption file does not seem to be clearly version stamped, or a dependency is causing the problem, as the last marked change is in 2008, which was long enough ago, and my other system was up-to-date to make me suspicious.

So the only info I have is the non-working caption.sty file has:

\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[1994/12/01] \ProvidesPackage{caption}[2008/04/01 v3.1h Customizing captions (AR)] $ md5sum ./texmf/tex/latex/caption/caption.sty 677bc2647b4de7942f16e897e1eadab2 ./texmf/tex/latex/caption/caption.sty

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Hope this helps.

P.s. For a latex site, a software package that is usually associated with anti-wysiwig fuddy duddies, there sure is a lot of scripting going on here -- I can't even post without it.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.