I found two symbols for the disjoint union. One is the union with a dot and I can do it. The other possibility is to put a small 'D' inside the union and this is what I don't find in any list of symbols I've checked. Could some one help me with this??Thank you so much!

  • Welcome! Why not use the one with the dot? – cfr Jul 10 '15 at 21:57
  • And why not use $\coprod$ or $\bigsqcup$ or $\amalg$? – Bernard Jul 10 '15 at 22:10

A case for \ooalign. I provide two variants, in the first one, the D is in math mode; in the second one it is in sans-serif text-mode font (I like this one). The example code shows the symbol for all math styles:

enter image description here

The code:


    {\ooalign{$\displaystyle\bigcup$\cr\hss\scalebox{.65}{\raisebox{0.45ex}{\sffamily D}}\hss}}
    {\ooalign{$\textstyle\bigcup$\cr\hss\scalebox{.9}{\raisebox{0.5ex}{\tiny\sffamily D}}\hss}}
    {\ooalign{$\scriptstyle\bigcup$\cr\hss\scalebox{.45}{\raisebox{0.3ex}{\sffamily D}}\hss}}
    {\ooalign{$\scriptscriptstyle\bigcup$\cr\hss\scalebox{.38}{\raisebox{0.3ex}{\sffamily D}}\hss}}


$A\DUnion B\quad
{\displaystyle A\DUnion B}\quad
L_{A\DUnion B}\quad
M_{L_{A\DUnion B}}$

$A\Dunion B\quad
{\displaystyle A\Dunion B}\quad
L_{A\Dunion B}\quad
M_{L_{A\Dunion B}}$

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Are you sure about using \bigcup as a binary operator? – egreg Jul 11 '15 at 7:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.