1

This question already has an answer here:

How can I force to show citations for three or more authors as et al. http://www.ieee.org/documents/ieeecitationref.pdf

Like,

  • A. Mike, B. Smith, C. Oliver, "blah blah", in Proc. ABC 2001 , ...(original)
  • A. Mike et al., "blah blah", in Proc. ABC 2001, ... (desired)

there is an answer here: Biblatex: Modify maxcitenames to work in three cases

it works with style=authoryear. But when I add style=ieee,

\usepackage[backend=biber, style=ieee, maxnames=3]{biblatex}

it does say "conflicting options (maxcitenames/mincitenames), thus does not work. I noticed in ieee.cbx file, there are some parameters set as below

\ExecuteBibliographyOptions{
    maxcitenames = 3,
    minnames     = 3,
    sorting      = none
}

According to above there should not be more than three names in references, right? But I am getting more than three names in references. I do not see any "et al." in references, regardless of proceedings or book articles.

My solution was to edit ieee.cbx and ieee.bbx file, and comment out the paremeters, that works but I was wondering if there is another solution that does not require editing the files.

marked as duplicate by moewe biblatex Sep 2 '15 at 7:13

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Do you think your problem could be related to the uniquelist feature? (I think so, but can't test anything here.) As in Set limit to one author when using “et al.” in biblatex and biblatex is ignoring maxcitenames. Did you use uniquelist=minyear or anything else or nothing? (One question you linked to might suggest you use uniquelist=minyear, but in your code snippets and question I can't find any further mention of uniquelist.) – moewe Sep 2 '15 at 7:05
  • @moewe yes that solved it, I had been using uniquename=false, but uniquelist works – Emmet B Sep 2 '15 at 7:12
  • Fine, I voted to close as a duplicate then. – moewe Sep 2 '15 at 7:13
  • For anyone stumbling upon this question: IMO, it is not a duplicate. In order to get this working and not edit the ieee files, simply override both maxnames/maxcitenames and minnames/mincitenames settings to prevent a conflict, e.g. \usepackage[backend=bibtex,mincitenames=1,maxcitenames=2,bibstyle=ieee]{biblatex} – Manuel J. Diaz Jan 25 at 21:27