Question: I wonder if it is possible to kindly tell LaTeX to put floats (automatically) either 1) some lines from the top of the page or 2) some lines from bottom of the page?
- I know about the htbpH options of floats, none of them do what I'm asking for.
- I still want the floats to float.
- I don't have anything against if the floats appear in the middle of a paragraph, otherwise the H option would have been OK.
- I am aware of this question, where it is asked where to put floats for a high typographic standard (but not how to do that in TeX).
- I am somewhat aware of that TeX works very much with paragraphs, and that it might be a reason this is not possible. If so, that is an acceptable answer.
In the nice typographical guide (in Swedish) "Sättningsregler" by W. N. Lansburgh (1961) it is suggested to place images like described above. Also, this is something one happens to find in older (pre TeX) books. Below, you find two example images I scanned from a book from 1904 where this placement is in action. (Hopefully with sufficiently low resolution, so that I do not violate some copyright law.)