how to reference other reported works in the form of [-]?

I tried the following trick but didnot work out.

\cite{IEEE:Zhu - IEEE:Nguyen}

I'm using article document class.

  • 2
    It's rather unclear what you mean. If you want multiple citations, use \cite{IEEE:Zhu,IEEE:Nguyen}. The cite package supports grouping of citations. – egreg Sep 12 '11 at 22:20
  • Do you want citations to be [Sparwasser, 1974 - Brandt, 1970]? this can be achieved with the natbib package. You can freely set brackets and separators: \bibpunct{[}{]}{-}{a}{,}{;}. Read this for more info. – Tom Bombadil Sep 12 '11 at 22:44
  • @egreg: , is used for two or more references that there's no specific order among them but - is used for multiple incessant references. I want citations to be [1-4]. – amir Sep 12 '11 at 22:54

Compressing can be achieved with the natbib package. Use the option sort&compress or compress if the bib entries should just be compressed, but not sorted:


If you use hyperref, this will cause problems, but the package hypernat can make them work together, but the order is of importance:

| improve this answer | |

Sorting and compression of citations is accomplished also with the cite package:


that works with the standard BibTeX styles and also with a directly written thebibliography environment.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.