What is the name of this symbol, and how to make it in latex ?

enter image description here


It's not a mathematical symbol, it's definitely a capital S, but in cursive. That's how it usually appears when you write by hand and in some fonts, depending on the style, it really looks like a flipped ampersand.

If you go to any website that provides fonts, search for "cursive font", and type a capital S. Some of them will look like the letter you posted.


Here's what I used to achieve the D'Nealian type, cursive S that looks like a backwards ampersand, &. In the preamble:

\usepackage{graphicx} %this enables \rotatebox and \reflectbox

then, $\reflectbox{\&}$

the \ preceding the ampersand is not needed for most letters and characters. It's needed here as without the \, LaTeX 'thinks' you are invoking an alignment tab function.

  • So I apparently committed a faux pas. @Chris H edited it, which if fine with me. However I'd like to know how to better post next time. Essentially now everything between "preamble:" and "then," after "then," and a few back slashes in the remainder of the text are now highlighted. Someone tell me how to do it correctly. Thanks. – TommyK Mar 30 '16 at 21:13
  • If you're on the desktop site, there's a code markup button (pair of curly brackets) above the text input box. If you're on mobile, you have to just know that backticks around text mark it as code. There are plenty of other formatting tools. – Chris H Mar 30 '16 at 21:17
  • I don't yet 'do' mobile. My phone still has a hinge. So, I 'initiated' a new Ask Question. When i clicked the { }, it placed a gray box in the text editor box. I just paste my code in the gray box. Correct? – TommyK Mar 31 '16 at 16:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.