There are certain 6-tuples of commands, such as:

  • \subset, \subseteq, \subsetneq, \supset, \supseteq, \supsetneq
  • <, \leq, \lneq, >, \geq, \gneq

There are also commands \triangleleft, \trianglelefteq, \triangleright, and \trianglerighteq. However, when I tried to use the commands \triangleleftneq and \trianglerightneq, which I presumed would have been defined in amssymb, I received the error, Undefined control sequence.

Are there any packages that define these commands? I tried to find them in Detexify, but to no avail.

enter image description here

  • Try \ntrianglelefteq
    – user31729
    Commented Mar 4, 2016 at 20:48
  • 1
    i don't know of any font that contains these symbols. they weren't in the collection compiled for stix, and thus didn't get into unicode. if you have evidence of their appearance in a published source. let me know, and i will submit them to unicode, with good likelihood of their acceptance. until then, your best bet is to add a vertical closure to the open end of the greater or less of \gneq and \lneq, but this will work well in only the main size; if you need smaller versions (for sub/superscripts), it can be done, but is more complicated. (i will try tomorrow.) Commented Mar 4, 2016 at 21:40
  • 1
    The symbol you are looking for does not exist (at least not in Unicode). It seems as you have to draw it yourself. Commented Mar 4, 2016 at 22:39

1 Answer 1


As the comments say this doesn't exist as standard. Here is one way to construct the symbols for use in usual display size:

Sample output





\( a \trianglerightneq b \triangleleftneq c \)


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .