Currently I am using natbib with IEEEtran as the bibliography style.


When citing, I want to sometimes refer to the author's name: e.g. “Scholtz [2] has argued. . . .” (example taken from here)

However, I cannot find a way to achieve this: Neither \citep{key} nor \citeauthor{key} works.

Is there a way to do this except for manually writing down in the text (Schlotz \cite{key} has argued...)? Or is this maybe not acceptable for the IEEE style?

  • for IEEE you would be better off if you follow the recommended way which is using \usepackage[noadjust]{cite} and only use \cite{....} key. – percusse Mar 10 '16 at 14:49
  • Are you telling me to simply not use the author's name at all and write "[12] argues that..." instead? Because using the cite package or not doesn't seem to have much to do with my question, though it might be helpful for displaying the output of \cite{...} better/prettier. – NotYanka Mar 12 '16 at 17:35
  • yes I am. Because your article will be retypeset by the publication office so you don't need to make it perfect. And cite package is recommended by the IEEE Trans. publication office. You can check the How_to_... file – percusse Mar 12 '16 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.