Is there a way to add a thin, ~1 inch tall, rectangular marker to the extreme right edge of each page in a large document to differentiate chapters (each chapter marked at a decreasing vertical position)? I want to provide a visual cue when either quickly scrolling/flipping through a long document, or to be able to visually see the chapters when looking at the physical edge of the printed thesis.

I am not sure if this typesetting element has a formal name (which has made it hard to search), but I feel like I've seen it in theses typeset in LaTeX before.


Those markers are called (by extension) "Thumb-indexes". You can find an example on how to implement them in Section 21 Thumb-indexes of the documentation of the fancyhdr package.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    Perfect, thanks. It looks like there are quite a few other packages that address this as well, including thumb and thumbs. – Deaton Oct 13 '11 at 14:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.