Is it possible in Latex to make a triangular hat? The one that is used in math over three letters representing points to indicate a triangle.

Something like: enter image description here

  • 1
    Welcome to TeX.SX! You can have a look at our starter guide to familiarize yourself further with our format.
    – Seamus
    Jul 1 '16 at 9:36
  • 3
    something like this could work: \(A \overset{\triangle}{B} C\)
    – Runar
    Jul 1 '16 at 9:39
  • 2
    @RunarTrollet Do you want to write an answer? Jul 1 '16 at 13:02
  • First time I see this notation for triangles. Usually I use inline $\triangle ABC$.
    – Sigur
    Jul 1 '16 at 13:51

This can be done using the \overset command, which takes two arguments. The first argument would be the symbol or character that you want to place on top, while the second would be the main character. \overset{\triangle}{ABC} would produce the result you are after, with a triangle centered above ABC

This requires amsmath-package. I tend to load mathtools, as it fixes some stuff from amsmath, and is generally advisable to use. You can find out more about the command, and related once in section 4.10 in the documentation for amsmath.

Not that you can always locate the documentation using the command-line/terminal by writing texdoc amsmath, and that works for any package. The documentation is also available at http://ctan.org/pkg/amsmath

It might sound tedious to look up the documentation for various small problems/features, but the package documentations tend to be well-written and easy to browse. Also, it will at the same time help you to understand how LaTeX works.


enter image description here



As you can see in triangle \(\overset{\triangle}{ABC}\), alternatively \(\triangle ABC\) would probably be better for inline, as it doesn't require so much text-height.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.