To denote the interior of a set, I'd like to have a command \interior. Now, as one can learn from this post, one possibility is to use \mathring. This is a neat command, but it produces a circle that to my taste is too small for the purpose. Of course one can experiment with \overset{\circ}{...}, but this way I had difficulties getting satisfactory vertical and in particular horizontal positioning of the \circ. An example:

$\mathring{I}\ \mathring{J}\ \overset{\circ}{I}\ \overset{\circ}{J}$

yields alt text .

If one has a close look then one sees that the \circ over the J should be moved to the right more than the \circ over the J! Is there a way to obtain the same nice automatic positioning as with mathring?

3 Answers 3


You can use \accentset from the accents package:

$ \mathring{I}\ \mathring{J}\ \accentset{\circ}{I}\ \accentset{\circ}{J} $


  • Great, this is what I've always wanted. Thanks! Sep 19, 2010 at 16:26

In the end I'm using an even larger circle than in Caramdir's great answer: accents sets the \circ in \scriptscriptstyle; I'm using \scriptstyle. To not affect the line spacing so much, I have the circle lowered and let it stick out a bit of the bounding box of the resulting accented character. (In print it looks nicer than on screen ...)

comparison of different circles

\fboxrule0.0001pt \fboxsep0pt
$\mathring{I}\ \accentset{\circ}{I}\ \interior{I}$ \fbox{$\interior{I}$}

There is also the Unicode combining character U+030A ◌̊ "COMBINING RING ABOVE":


  • 3
    Welcome to TeX.SX! For your answer to be complete, you should add an example of use of that character in LaTeX.
    – Vincent
    Feb 16, 2020 at 4:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .