I am using TexLive and editing with TexWorks, on Arch. I would like to use the en_GB dictionary, but it is not available in the spellcheck dropdown menu (only the en_US is available). However, I have the dictionary installed:

[rmlopes@baltra]$ sudo find /usr | grep hunspell.en_GB

[rmlopes@baltra]$ sudo find /usr | grep hunspell.en_US

The /usr/share/myspell/dicts directory contains these dictionaries as well.

What could be wrong here? How can I force the detection of the dictionaries in TexWorks?

  • Welcome! Why are you using sudo for that? Only use root privileges when you need them. Also, your use of find is strange. Why are you piping it through grep rather than just using find? – cfr Sep 16 '16 at 23:49
  • You would probably be best advised to ask this on the appropriate Arch Linux forum, ensuring that you provide a bit more information about what you've investigated and what you've found. But before to check the wiki and search the forums first. – cfr Sep 16 '16 at 23:54
  • Have you read the comments at aur.archlinux.org/packages/texworks? – cfr Sep 16 '16 at 23:58
  • It's just a shortcut that I like and old habits die hard. I forgot to go through the comments, thanks. – rll Sep 19 '16 at 10:40

The answer lies in the comments of the texworks package in the AUR:

The list of dictionaries presented in TeXworks is accurate, as far as I can tell. In this screenshot, I have hunspell-en and hunspell-de installed: https://i.imgur.com/fNnmo9J.png

After installing the hunspell-en package, it may look like there are lots of different dictionaries in the /usr/share/myspell/dicts directory, but if you look at where those symlinks point to (/usr/share/hunspell), you'll see that most of them are actually just aliases for the en_GB dictionary. There are only three real dictionaries provided by the hunspell-en package, and TeXworks ends up displaying en_ZW for the en_GB dictionary because of the aliases.

The three english dictionaries that are real (not symlinked) are the American (en_US), Canadian (en_CA), and the large version of the British (en_GB-large).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.