I started writing a book last year with
- "TexLive 2015"
- my literature managed by "biber"
- own biblio files bbx and cbx
- "Texmaker" as editor
and everything worked smoothly.
As my old computer started having some troubles, I bought a new one and installed "TexLive 2016" from scratch on it, copied the biblio files (bbx anx cbx) to the respective folders as where they were before and made any settings in "Texmaker" analoguous to what I had on the old computer.
However when I try to compile my book.tex file, it ends up in error messages saying that my bibio files are not found.
A rearch in the forums revealed that "TechLive 2016" is incompatible with biber 2.6. So I tried removing biber 2.6 and replaced it by biber 2.4, but the errors remain unchanged.
Currently, I'm totally lost and afraid, that all the weeks of work on my book is doomed.
Could anyone give me please some information how I can get this software back to work? As I am a newbie, a more detailed description of a remedy is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Here the detailed version of what I did:
- Installation of Linux Mint 18, 64 Bit, Mate on a blank harddisk.
- Download of texlive2016-20160523.iso and extraction of that file into a new folder texlive.
- In that folder texlive
sudo ./install-tl -guiand installation of TexLive 2016.
- In terminal environment variable adjusted:
- In terminal normal user (Oli) endued with rights:
sudo chown -hR Oli /usr/local/texlive/2016
- In terminal TexLive Manager started with
tlmgr guiand complete update of TexLive (around 375 packages were updated).
- Copy of my biblio files
iest_neu.cbxfrom my old computer to the two folders where they used to be, which are
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/biblatex-iestand a hidden folder in my home folder
~/.texmf/tex/latex/biblatex-iest(ownerships and flags of the copied files were checked for correctness).
- In the editor Texmaker adaption of the preferences analoguously to what they looked like on my old computer, which relates to only three settings: a) the PdfLaTex path was set to
/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex, b) the Bib(la)tex entry to
biber %, and c) in the quick compilation settings, the radio button was set to the second position.
When I compile my
book.tex file on the old computer, it runs through smoothly. The same tex file on the new computer yields many error messages, of which two principles are identified:
- File: /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty, Type: Error, Lines: 13001 and 13002, Message: ! Package biblatex Error: Style 'iest_neu' not found. See the biblatex package docu...
- File: /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty, Type: Error, Many lines..., Message: ! Package biblatex Error: Command '\cite' undefined. See the biblatex package docu...
As proposed, I tried to locate my biblio files by kpsewhich. For that, an additional installation of package
texlive-binaries was necessary. However when I searched for my biblio files
iest_neu.cbx, as well as for the file
biblatex-examples.bib, kpsewhich neither gives an output, nor an error message. Nonetheless, when I look for these files in Midnight Commander, I truly find them (my biblio files
iest_neu.cbx at the places already mentioned above and the file
biblatex-examples.bib in the folders
Finally, I found the solution to my problems by myself. For the scenario
Texlive 2016 + biber 2.6 + TexMaker 4.4.1 + own biblio files (
I state that in contrast to Texlive 2016 + biber 2.4 the following changes need to be done - otherwise your tex files will fail to compile:
- your own biblio files need to be in your home directory in a visible folder
~/texmf/tex/latex/(formerly, it was possible to put them in a hidden folder)
- in the preferences for Bib(la)tex in TexMaker, you need to indicate the full path like that
"/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/biber" %(formerly, it was sufficient to write