Env: Win 7 64 bit (regularly updated)
I had a 32 bit Miktex installation since 2012 that i updated, without a single problem, tenth of times since then, so that i developed the BAD habit of updating without checking first the site.
This morning i run again the update and it badly crashed telling me that it couldn't proceed because
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\config\scripts.ini was tampered (for sure not by me!), leaving me with a completely broken installation. compilations no longer running, mpm and update wizard no longer starting.
After reading in the site what was going on, i didn't bother to debug further, i scratched everything and reinstalled the 64 bit (
basic-miktex-2.9.6069-x64.exe) after which i run the update and followed step by step the procedure in November package refactoring (i uninstalled and restarted everything from scratch four times just to be sure).
All i obtain is an installation where the update wizard is no longer working and i cannot complete the update process.
Nothing is written in the log, all i see is a pop up that says
Sorry but something went wrong: SSL connect error
but really no real connection problems exists with the repo. I tried four different repos, before update they work, after update they no longer work with update, while mpm still connects without problems.
What i noticed is that the above procedure says that
Package miktex-luatex-base will be replaced by packages luatex, miktex-luatex and tex-ini-files
luatex does not exists anywhere. Could be that the cause of the problem? Or the refactoring is somewhere in the middle and not complete and not yet usable for update?
Any idea, anybody?
This morning i found again the downloads posted in the Miktex site.
setup-2.9.6050-x64.exe and installed with it so that packages are downloaded directly from the repo.
And here's the result of invoking the update wizard with an out of the box installation:
2016-11-15 07:49:39,471+0100 INFO Update - starting: Update Wizard (MiKTeX 2.9.6100 64-bit) 2016-11-15 07:49:48,309+0100 INFO FileCopyPage - 2016-11-15 07:49:48,309+0100 INFO FileCopyPage - Error: SSL connect error
Now i can only assume that either there is something changed about repo connections, and i was not able to find doc about, or the refactoring broke the repo.
I changed the title accordingly. If i can give an advice, stay away from update till the whole thing is cleared. I'll try to open a bug.