How to make the symbols for interior product (a.k.a. contraction)? The best I've been able to come up with is \mathrel{\llcorner} (or \lrcorner). Any other suggestions?

  • Martin's answer was not satisfactory for me. The resulting symbol does not match the interior product symbol I'm familiar with from my texts. The symbol should be fairly large, outlining the bottom-most and right-most edge of the glyph's rendering box. Can anyone give another answer?
    – ziggurism
    Dec 19, 2011 at 19:17

3 Answers 3


MnSymbol package has \invneg symbol, which is most likely what you're looking for. Hope this helps.


  • 1
    On an unrelated note, detexify wasn't able to recognize this particular symbol, nor did it suggest anything even remotely similar. It can be found, however, in the CTAN comprehensive symbol list. Sep 26, 2010 at 18:58
  • 1
    I know, I tried detexify too! Anyway, \invneg and \invbackneg look fine. Thanks! Sep 26, 2010 at 19:26

Load the package MnSymbol in the preamble at the top of your tex file:


then in your body you can use:


See http://ctan.sharelatex.com/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf for more


I believe you are looking for


as in

  • 1
    Not quite. The contraction symbol has a long horizontal line and a short vertical line, whereas the floor symbol is the other way arund... Sep 27, 2010 at 7:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .