I have seen the following before in different math publications. Could anyone explain how the words 'GMRES, CG, BICGSTAB' are being created to give them that condensed typeface?

enter image description here

  • \textsc{GMRES} – user2478 Feb 22 '17 at 14:32
  • 5
    @Herbert you mean \textsc{gmres}! – Andrew Swann Feb 22 '17 at 14:40
  • 3
    Welcome to TeX - LaTeX! These are "small capitals" font. – Andrew Swann Feb 22 '17 at 14:42

This typeface is called small caps, and is produced with the \textsc macro.

Krylov Subspace Methods (KSMs), such as \textsc{gmres},
\textsc{cg},\textsc{bicgstab} and numerous...


| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    In many typefaces, "small caps" are actually "petite caps." The OP's example seems to be true small caps, which are noticeably taller than lowercase letters. Petite caps are about the same size as lowercase. – user103221 Feb 22 '17 at 18:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.