What is the difference between flushright and raggedleft?


\begin{flushright}...\end{flushright} is the environment form of \raggedleft. They are the equivalent of \begin{center}...\end{center} and \centering, respectively. Here's an example using the two:



In particular, note the extra space around flushright.


The environments internally are based on a list (exactly a »trivlist«) with fixed list parameters. That's why they cause the extra vertical space before and behind that Will mentioned. The amount of this space is determined by the length \topsep. Regarding the center environment this can be very annoying when used to center float objects.

  • 10
    Which is why you should use \centering to centre floats rather than {center}. (Or, better, use something like floatrow to automatically centre them.) Oct 1 '10 at 8:17
  • Yes, and I should have added that. Oct 1 '10 at 8:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.