Is this a tilde or some other ("upper tilde") symbol?

enter image description here

  • Yeah, this is a tilde. Probably the position depends on your font. – TeXnician Apr 29 '17 at 11:16
  • On my keyboard, I can write both ˜ and ~. – hpekristiansen Apr 29 '17 at 11:46
  • @hpekristiansen How you write ˜? – mavavilj Apr 29 '17 at 11:47
  • I press shift and the key left of !1 on an american apple keyboard the key with ~. The key is active, so if I type a it becomes ã, but if I press right arrow, I get ˜. – hpekristiansen Apr 29 '17 at 11:53
  • @hpekristiansen I didn't understand, but I read that it's called "small tilde" and on Windows you get it by pressing ALT and then the "ALT keycode" 0152 on the numpad. Then release ALT and you get ˜. – mavavilj Apr 29 '17 at 12:01

It's not the same character as Tilde ~. Rather ˜ is called "small tilde" and on Windows one gets it by holding ALT then typing the "ALT keycode" 0152 and then releasing the ALT key.

In LaTeX one processes it in the following way:

enter image description here

as given here: Correctly typesetting a tilde

  • 1
    Where is the screenshot from? – Johannes_B Apr 29 '17 at 12:13
  • 3
    rather than just copying an answer it is better to vote the question as duplicate. – David Carlisle Apr 29 '17 at 12:16
  • 2
    Is this an answer or additional info to add to your question? – CarLaTeX Apr 29 '17 at 12:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.