My old laptop died, and I need to rebuild my TeX-system. The new setup:
Windows 10, MikTeX 2.9, WinEdt10.2
In my old system I somehow managed to make WinEdt behave in the following IMHO desirable way. May be not your preferences, but this leads to an ideal workflow for me:
- When I click a .TeX file, WinEdt opens it and starts with no other previously opened files (those are a pain in the hindquarters if you ask me, because the list just keeps growing...)
- When I click a .prj file it opens the master file and the other files I have specifically added to that project (by creating them when the project is open). And no other files.
The trouble is that I don't have a clue how I managed it last time. I asked a lot of people (even the friendly people at WinEdt), and somehow I managed. (You guessed, those config files are only on the hard drive of the dead laptop.) What I thought was sensible guessing was not enough :-)
I just ran the WinEdt Configuration Wizard, and now it works somehow (.tex and .prj filetypes are associated to WinEdt). But the above problems persist because I really don't know which options manage this behavior and the FAQ is mostly Greek to me. Problems:
- When I click the icon of a project file, say, LectureNotes.prj, it also opens the irrelevant *.prj file rather than the LaTeX-source files as I expected/wanted.
If I follow the instructions here, and include the lines
then what happens is that only the .prj file is opened. Not even the master file is anywhere to be seen.
- Suspecting that something with .prj -files had changed since WinEdt7 I recreated the project by setting a master file, and the help files (chapter1.tex, chapter2.tex etc). Saved it as a project. No cigar! This time the .prj file also had lines with name of other recently opened filed (such as HomeworkWk1.tex) unrelated to the lecture notes project!
How do I achieve this? Is there a WinEdt-options for dummies somewhere in the interwebs :-)
A problem a user like me has with WinEdt is that it tries to do so much. I probably only ever use a tiny fraction of the menu items, and it kinda overwhelms my feeble brain. I do realize that not everybody wants to just use tex->dvi->ps->pdf flow with only good ole LaTeX, so no problem there. It is just me.
When these problems are solved (I'm confident that some friendly person her knows how to), I will start worrying about character sets of files. Last time when I ported source made in Windows XP into Windows 7 I had serious difficulties getting with the different character sets (ASCII, UTF-8, whatnot), IIRC some of those issues were never fully solved, and I need to do strange things to get scandic letters "äöåÄÖÅ" to show correctly. Wish me luck! If I run into problems I will ask :-)
Edit: I tried tinkering in the Options Interface. No light bulbs for me :-(. More annoyingly, as a consequence of my tinkering some data about the ini-files were tagged into the .prj-file. WTF. Why should a prj-file have any information not related to the TeX-files of the project??
Edit(2): I asked Alex@winedt.com. Their diagnosis was that something had went wrong when I tried to run the Configuration Wizard. I think I ran with admin privileges, but I tried it again, and this time I added, as per Alex's instructions, "-V " in the command switch box. This cured the problem with prj-files as well as the problem of opening previous files.
Alex further adviced
against changing the default
for this purpose, and recommended using the command switch "-V ". Arzigoglu's answer gave the same suggestion so I accepted that to let this thread drift into the background. I couldn't figure out how to do that change with regedit, but I guess running the configuration wizard with admin privileges amounted to the same.
- not to open any ini-files while working with a project. Close the project first, and then tinker. That way those files won't leave any marks in the prj-file.