-1

EDITED: If the answer from this post worked, I would not need help, since this is my exact question. I would like to have the in-line citations give (FirstAuthor et al., XXXX) and I am using Rmarkdown with biblatex. I've tried a variety of combinations from other answers and still I get strange behavior. One of the following citations does correctly render (FirstAuthor et al., XXXX) and the second one listed does not, and instead prints all of the authors' names with the year. In my header in the .Rmd, I've set:

title: "Untitled"
output: pdf_document2
bibliography: sample.bib
header-includes:
    -\usepackage[style=authoryear-comp,maxcitenames=1,citetracker=true]{biblatex}

I have tried a bunch of different variations of options in the line above, including mincitenames=1, leaving off the citetracker, changing the style to authoryear or authoryear-chicago. No dice.

Before specifying the biblatex package, I was using these in my header: citation_package: biblatex with biblio-style: authoryear (and I've also tried citestyle=authoryear) but neither of these worked, as confirmed by this post.

Here's the example from my sample.bib file:

@article{Mizukami2016,
abstract = {Text},
author = {Mizukami, Naoki and Clark, Martyn P. and Sampson, Kevin and Nijssen, Bart and Mao, Yixin and McMillan, Hilary and Viger, Roland J. and Markstrom, Steve L. and Hay, Lauren E. and Woods, Ross and Arnold, Jeffrey R. and Brekke, Levi D.},
doi = {10.5194/gmd-9-2223-2016},
file = {:C$\backslash$:/Users/lread/Documents/Papers{\_}and{\_}Lit/mizuroute.pdf:pdf},
isbn = {1991-962X},
issn = {19919603},
journal = {Geoscientific Model Development},
number = {6},
pages = {2223--2228},
title = {{MizuRoute version 1: A river network routing tool for a continental domain water resources applications}},
volume = {9},
year = {2016}
}
@article{Yamazaki2015,
abstract = {Text},
author = {Yamazaki, D and Trigg, MA and Ikeshima, D.},
doi = {10.1016/j.rse.2015.10.014},
isbn = {0034-4257},
issn = {00344257},
journal = {Remote Sensing of Environment},
keywords = {Floodplain,Global analysis,Landsat GLS,River,Water body mapping},
pages = {337--351},
title = {{Development of a global {\~{}}90m water body map using multi-temporal Landsat images}},
url = {https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0034425715301656 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2015.10.014},
volume = {171},
year = {2015}
}

The output in the pdf document is this:

(Mizukami et al. 2016)
(Yamazaki, Trigg, and Ikeshima 2015)

It's making me crazy.

  • 1
    Please provide a full MWE, I am also interested in that Rmarkdown business, but you need to ensure it does not distort anything. I know pandoc sometimes did funny things. – Oleg Lobachev Mar 15 '18 at 19:43
  • If you want to use biblatex you'd also have to compile with Biber instead of BibTeX. I'm not sure how you can Rmarkdown this. – moewe Mar 15 '18 at 21:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.