I've just installed
texlive on Ubuntu 16.04. In my system and in online resources, I keep seeing references to
texmf, but I can't figure out what it is.
- Web search and tex.stackexchage.com search for "What is texmf?" don't turn up a definition
- It appears frequently on the main page of the texlive docs, but without any definition that I can find
- "texmf" doesn't appear anywhere in the Things with 'TeX' in the name page
- "texmf" doesn't appear anywhere on the TeX FAQ page
- It has no
- "texmf" doesn't appear anywhere on the TeX Wikipedia page
What is it and why do I keep seeing it as if I'm supposed to know what it is?
Edit: After poking around a bit, I've found the standard TeX Directory Structure at
/usr/share/texmf/ on Ubuntu 16.04. The information given in the accepted answer refers to these if you're on that system and installed TeX via
apt-get install texlive-latex-base.