0

I'm typesetting a document in English in which I quote texts in Latin and occasionally give a word in Hebrew. I suspect a recent Babel update (3.25) has broken something, because I now get a "Missing \endcsname inserted" error. I've reduced the code that causes the error to the following MWE:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[main=american, latin]{babel}
\babelfont{rm}{Georgia}
\babelprovide[import=he]{hebrew}

\begin{document}
\foreignlanguage{latin}{Vita} means life.
\end{document}

Typesetting this with XeLaTeX produces the error

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again> 
                   \bbl@sbcp@latin 
l.8 \foreignlanguage{latin}{Vita}
                                  means life.

If I remove the \babelfont line, I instead get a similar error for \bbl@sbcp@american on line 9 (\end{document}).

If I don't import the Hebrew INI, it works, but then I can't wrap Hebrew words in foreignlanguage{hebrew}, which results in misplaced vowel points (using the Cardo font).

It also works with TeXLive 2017.

  • Without the line \babelfont{rm}{Georgia} it works here in TeXlive 2018, and the output looks like normal text (I mean, no italic, etc... - I have no idea how the output should be). – Sigur Oct 15 '18 at 18:18
  • I think it should work if Georgia font is right installed since it now works with \babelfont{rm}{Ubuntu} in my system. – Sigur Oct 15 '18 at 18:20
  • Make a bug report here: github.com/latex3/latex2e, looks like a problem in babel 3.25, in 3.24 it works. – Ulrike Fischer Oct 15 '18 at 18:27
  • With lualatex it works too (at least I get no error). – Ulrike Fischer Oct 15 '18 at 18:32
  • I added a bug report: github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/84 – Ulrike Fischer Oct 15 '18 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.