I use the symbol "\mathbbm{1}" to produce a nice-looking "1" digit. But, then my PDF contains a "Type-3" font, which is not allowed by my publisher. Is there a replacement that does not use a type-3 font?

  • The STIX fonts contain blackboard bold digits, although the style is different from that of the font you are now using. Mar 12, 2019 at 19:34
  • Does your publisher accept documents made with OpenType math fonts?
    – Davislor
    Apr 11, 2019 at 22:16
  • @Davislor good question. I had to submit a month ago, so I just put a usual "1" instead of the fancy 1, and submitted. I do not know whether OpenType fonts are accepted. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:31
  • The question specifies Type-1, but this is one of many, many problems that can be solved going forward by switching to unicode-math, since all up-to-date OpenType math fonts support \mathbb{1}. If, that is, a publisher allows it.
    – Davislor
    Apr 12, 2019 at 7:40
  • @Davislor thanks, I will check this out the next time I run into a similar problem. Apr 12, 2019 at 13:06

2 Answers 2


The doublestroke package provides blackboard fonts in type 1 format, including the \mathds{1} that you are looking for.

It does not exactly look like those of bbm, but could likely be used as a drop in replacement in your case


Another possibilty is use the package bbold symbol font to get a similar \mathds{1}.

enter image description here




Using dsfont you will have:

enter image description here

  • Note that the use of the package bbold will also change other mathbb characters you might have used (set N of natural numbers, R, C, etc.)
    – Karlo
    Sep 12, 2019 at 21:11
  • 1
    @Karlo I agree with you; it always depends on what you want to create. In my case I have a lot of packages loaded for a personal project and I didn't have any problems.
    – Sebastiano
    Sep 12, 2019 at 21:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.