I am working on my PhD thesis and have a huge file to compile. In the package file, I included the following package and commented chapter by chapter but still, I get this error. I'll appreciate if you can help me to solve this issue. I am compiling by pdflatex and using the BibTeX for the bibliography.


P.s. error is about this character (â) but I do not have this character in my file.

Package ucs Error: Unknown Unicode character 128 = U+0080,
(ucs)                possibly declared in uni-0.def.
(ucs)                Type H to see if it is available with options.
  • Since biblatex (note the la, not BibTeX) is incompatible with utfx/ucs it is unlikely that you are using it, so I removed the tag and replaced it with the more generic bibliographies tag. U+0080 is not a printable Unicode char, it seems something went wrong in your encoding. Is your .bib file maybe encoded in Latin-1? (Cf. stackoverflow.com/q/15271453) Make sure that all files involved have the same encoding (ideally UTF-8). Usually it is enough to use utf8 instead of utf8x nowadays, so I'd use only utf8 if possible. – moewe Mar 27 at 9:28
  • 2
    I would use the standard utf8 option rather than utf8x (actually inputenc isn't needed at all with recent releases) but character 128 is an undefined control character in Unicode, it is not â which is U+00E2 make sure your file is saved in UTF-8 encoding – David Carlisle Mar 27 at 9:28
  • @moewe, I changed it to utf8 but still, I get the error. Same error even points to a line that is commented. – AH2012 Mar 27 at 9:37
  • If the encoding of one of your files is wrong, a change from utf8x to utf8 was unlikely to resolve the issue, but it was a good idea nonetheless. Double-check the reported line in the raw .log file. In case several different files are involved it may well be that a line number does not refer to the main .tex file, but to a different included or auxiliary file. You can find out which file the message refers to by tracking parentheses in the .log, see David's answer in tex.stackexchange.com/q/481423/35864. – moewe Mar 27 at 9:40
  • @moewe I went through the .log file and trace all the chapters but no error printed in the log file. – AH2012 Mar 27 at 10:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.