I need to do this using natbib:

(McFadden 1978, Ben-Akiva and Lerman 1985, but see Bruch and Mare 2012 for an accessible introduction).

My current attempt at it:

  \citep[][but see \citep[][for an accessible introduction]{bruch_methodological_2012}]{mcfadden_modeling_1978,ben-akiva_discrete_1985}.

Which results in an ugly error:

BibTeX I didn't find a database entry for "["

Is there any way of defining that suffix that includes a citation?


It works with an additional set of {} around the inner \cite:



  author       = {Angenendt, Arnold},
  title        = {In Honore Salvatoris~-- Vom Sinn und Unsinn der
  journaltitle = {Revue d'Histoire Eccl{\'e}siastique},
  date         = 2002,
  volume       = 97,
  pages        = {431--456, 791--823},
  langid       = {german},
  indextitle   = {In Honore Salvatoris},
  shorttitle   = {In Honore Salvatoris},
  annotation   = {A German article in a French journal. Apart from that, a
                  typical \texttt{article} entry. Note the \texttt{indextitle}

  author       = {Baez, John C. and Lauda, Aaron D.},
  title        = {Higher-Dimensional Algebra {V}: 2-Groups},
  journaltitle = {Theory and Applications of Categories},
  date         = 2004,
  volume       = 12,
  pages        = {423-491},
  version      = 3,
  eprint       = {math/0307200v3},
  eprinttype   = {arxiv},
  langid       = {english},
  langidopts   = {variant=american},
  annotation   = {An \texttt{article} with \texttt{eprint} and
                  \texttt{eprinttype} fields. Note that the arXiv reference is
                  transformed into a clickable link if \texttt{hyperref} support
                  has been enabled.  Compare \texttt{baez\slash online}, which
                  is the same item given as an \texttt{online} entry},



\citep[][but see {\citep[][for an accessible introduction]{baez}}]{angenendt}.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.