I want to use type an intersection symbol with a vertical line to indicate intersect transversally of submanifolds, like this:

enter image description here

The symbol I looked up on detexify isn't quite what I want (it gives me \usepackage{ amssymb } $$\pitchfork$$). Does anyone know how to get this symbol? Thanks!

  • What's the problem with amssymb? – Bernard May 26 at 18:20
  • @Bernard -- The vertical member in the amssymb \pitchfork cuts off at the bottom of the cap. The vertical line here has a distinct descender. I don't know the difference in meaning, but it may be significant. – barbara beeton May 26 at 18:37
  • @barbarabeeton: when I compile, the vertical line starts nearly at the base line, without any descender w.r.t. the standard \cap. – Bernard May 26 at 18:57
  • 1
    There's a symbol \mlcp in the stix fonts. Check the comprehensive symbols list (texdoc comprehensive). – barbara beeton May 26 at 19:00

Combining other symbols:



N_1 \cap\kern-0.7em|\kern0.7em N_2


enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.