I have moved my TeX Live installation directories from one computer to another when I bought a newer system. I simply did a tar cfj texlive.tbz /texlive/ (the root directory where I had put TeX Live) and later unpacked it using tar xjf texlive.tbz.

Almost everything works fine, including software updates using tlmgr, both in the command line and using the GUI. The only problem is that tlmgr is not handling backups properly. This is the tail of a tlmgr update --all command:

[14/16, 01:56/01:56] update: collection-bibtexextra [1k] (24610 -> 25686) ... done
Can't exec "/tmp/fecOgscNe7/xz.x86_64-linux": Permissão negada at /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 636.
/usr/local/bin/tlmgr: Couldn't find /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-fontutils.r24759.tar.xz
[15/16, 01:57/01:57] update: collection-fontutils [1k] (24759 -> 25704) ... done
Can't exec "/tmp/fecOgscNe7/xz.x86_64-linux": Permissão negada at /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPOBJ.pm line 636.
/usr/local/bin/tlmgr: Couldn't find /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25679.tar.xz
[16/16, 01:57/01:57] update: collection-latexextra [4k] (25679 -> 25713) ... done
running mktexlsr ...
done running mktexlsr.
running updmap-sys ...
done running updmap-sys.

When I do an ls in the /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups directory querying for the filenames not found I see this

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3888 Mar  1 20:33 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25489.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar  6 21:54 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25534.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar  9 23:35 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25552.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 16 22:24 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25574.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 19 20:47 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25620.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Mar 25 21:28 /opt/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups/collection-latexextra.r25679.tar

The older versions, which are compressed, were manually compressed by me, in the hope that tlmgr would see them in the next update. But it does not happen.

TeX Live is creating the backups uncompressed (.tar only) and cannot uncompress them if I compress them manually.

It seems that tlmgr is not detecting properly the xz program.

What is wrong? How to solve this so that tlmgr does not spit these errors any more?

closed as too localized by Joseph Wright Apr 14 '12 at 22:01

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    Maybe your new system has the /tmp partition mounted with noexec, which would explain the errors in tlmgr ouptut. – mpg Mar 26 '12 at 7:40
  • My /tmp had the noexec flag. That was it! By the way, I had followed a famous Debian tip and my /tmp is mounted on RAM. I will reboot without noexec and see if it works. – Jose Geraldo Mar 27 '12 at 1:11