I'm starting a new writing project and want to use LaTeX, and need to decide on whether to go with luatex or pdftex for the engine. A few of my considerations:
- Personal project -- no limitations and no constraints
- Mostly English, with sporadic, small amount of other languages like CJK
- Using fonts from the OS is not important to me
- It seems antiquated to have to deal with font and input encodings and other "old"-isms with pdftex, but ...
- While I like new and shiny when possible, I like stability more
- What is important is being able to compile the project as is years later
LuaTeX hit 1.0 a while back but pdftex is still the default in distributions I've encountered. Should I go with luatex at this point or stick with the venerable pdftex? What are other important considerations?