0

I'm trying to add several plots to a report using pgfplots and I got an error about "TeX capacity exceeded". I saw this solution, but when I tried to enact it, I got a different error related to missing MiKTeX updates. I'd opened up a question here earlier on the subject, but I screwed something up in the mean time and, long story short, ended up having to reinstall MiKTeX altogether.

When I try to update the LaTeX format files, as it says in the previous link, I get the error in my question and a message saying "The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again". The aforementioned log file contains the following:

2019-11-24 17:56:07,950Z INFO  initexmf - starting: MiKTeX Configuration Utility 2.9.7251 (MiKTeX 2.9.7250 64-bit)
2019-11-24 17:56:07,951Z INFO  initexmf - Operating on the private (per-user) MiKTeX setup
2019-11-24 17:56:07,951Z INFO  initexmf - starting with command line: initexmf --edit-config-file=pdflatex
2019-11-24 17:56:07,991Z INFO  initexmf - finishing with exit code 0
2019-11-24 17:56:28,937Z INFO  initexmf - starting: MiKTeX Configuration Utility 2.9.7251 (MiKTeX 2.9.7250 64-bit)
2019-11-24 17:56:28,937Z INFO  initexmf - Operating on the private (per-user) MiKTeX setup
2019-11-24 17:56:28,938Z INFO  initexmf - starting with command line: initexmf --dump=pdflatex
2019-11-24 17:56:28,943Z INFO  initexmf - running: miktex-makefmt.exe --engine=pdftex --dest-name=pdflatex --no-dump pdflatex.ini --engine-option=-tcx=cp227.tcx --enable-installer --miktex-disable-maintenance
2019-11-24 17:56:29,321Z ERROR initexmf - sub-process error output has been saved to 'C:\Users\XXXXX XXXXX\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9\miktex\log\miktex-makefmt_2019-11-24-175629.out'
2019-11-24 17:56:29,321Z FATAL initexmf - The executed process did not succeed.
2019-11-24 17:56:29,321Z FATAL initexmf - Info: fileName="D:\Programas\MiKTeX\miktex\bin\x64\miktex-makefmt.exe", exitCode="1"
2019-11-24 17:56:29,321Z FATAL initexmf - Source: 
2019-11-24 17:56:29,321Z FATAL initexmf - Line: 0

I changed my name to "XXXXX XXXXX" for privacy and because it does contain a space. It also contains an accented character, in case that's relevant.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

  • Have you checked the makefmt output file? See C:\Users\XXXXX XXXXX\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9\miktex\log\miktex-makefmt_2019-11-24-175629.out – Christian Schenk Nov 24 at 20:14
  • That file directs me to another log file that says miktex-pdftex.exe failed on pdflatex.ini, which is the config file the github page I linked to before says to edit (via the command prompt). – Orion Nov 24 at 20:40
  • I would recommend that you follow all log file links. If I edit pdflatex.ini as suggested by the "solution" on GiHub, I get a bad parameter value for font_mem_size=5000000. IIRC, 4000000 is the MiKTeX upper limit. – Christian Schenk Nov 24 at 21:59
  • So maybe the issue is that the solution itself doesn't work. Thankfully, I was since able to find a workaround. pgfplots can create plots as separate files, which it then inserts in the main pdf. It's not perfect, since it increases file size considerably and doesn't actually solve the problem, but it's acceptable for now. – Orion Nov 24 at 22:09
  • It would be possible to increase the limits. I have created a MiKTeX issue here: github.com/MiKTeX/miktex/issues/422 – Christian Schenk Nov 25 at 7:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.