How would the double vector notation be written above the T?

enter image description here

I came across it in Griffith's E&M as shorthand for a tensor.

  • 1
    Maybe \overleftrightarrow
    – Symbol 1
    Commented Jul 7, 2020 at 3:05
  • 1
    This may be relevant: tex.stackexchange.com/q/162337/218142. "Double headed" vector. Commented Jul 7, 2020 at 3:41
  • This post may be interesting: tex.stackexchange.com/a/479765/201158
    – ZhiyuanLck
    Commented Jul 7, 2020 at 4:05
  • \overleftrightarrow seems to be the macro that's used in the text -- just in a different font Commented Jul 7, 2020 at 4:32
  • 1
    @EvanDodson I know that symbol and I use it too, but it's an old notation. Generally in the various books of classical electrodynamics the sans serif character as in MWE is used: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb} \begin{document} $\boldsymbol{\mathsf{T}}$ \end{document}
    – Sebastiano
    Commented Jul 7, 2020 at 12:15

2 Answers 2


$\overleftrightarrow T$ is what gives the closest result.

enter image description here


The main idea is from https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/479765/201158 enter image description here

    \settoheight{\lrvec@height}{$\m@th#1 \mathbf{T}#3$}
    \begin{tikzpicture}[<-> /.tip={To[width=.4em, length=.2em]}]
      \draw [<->] (-.05em,0)--(\lrvec@width+.05em,0);

Overleftrightarrow: $\lrvec{\mathrm{T}}\lrvec{a}$

With same height: $\lrvec*{\mathrm{T}}\lrvec*{c}$

Above arrow sep: $\lrvec{a}\lrvec[1ex]{a}$

In script: $T_{\lrvec{a}}$

In display math:

  \lrvec{a}\lrvec{\sum_{i=1}^{n} a^n}

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .