Should I type:

In the foundational paper of Eells-Sampson (...)


In the foundational paper of Eells--Sampson (...)

So, single or double dash in the tex code between "Eells" and "Sampson" (the two co-authors)?

Sorry if the answer is somewhere on this site, I couldn't find it.

EDIT: According to Mico in the comments, I should not write either. How about when writing the "theorem of Eells-Sampson" or the "Euler-Lagrange equations"? Sorry if you find, like Mico, that this is a completely different question that has absolutely nothing to do with my original question.

  • Simple answer: Do not use either Eells-Sampson or Eells--Sampson in a citation callout. Instead, write something like In the foundational paper of Eells and Sampson (1964), ...". There is the Eells-Sampson theorem, but the foundational paper was written by two persons with full names James Eells and Joseph Sampson, not by a single person whose surname was Eells-Sampson (or, for that matter, Eells--Sampson).
    – Mico
    Commented Aug 27, 2020 at 9:31
  • Ok, thank you. So what about when citing the Eells-Sampson theorem?
    – Seub
    Commented Aug 27, 2020 at 9:35
  • I don't understand the purpose of your follow-up question. Did the Eells-Sampson theorem write itself? Is there an author called "Eells-Sampson Theorem"? One does not cite a given theorem; instead, one cites the publication or publications -- using "author-year" citation call-outs, if so desired or required -- that established what has become known as the theorem in question.
    – Mico
    Commented Aug 27, 2020 at 9:39
  • 3
    I prefer Cauchy--Schwarz inequality over Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (and as you can see from the previous link, so does Wikipedia). The AMS Style Guide recommends en-dashes (i.e. --) for situations like this (Appendix B, p. 125), but will allow single hyphens if used consistently. In the 'foundational paper' example you quoted in the question I would concur with Mico and write 'and'. ...
    – moewe
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 14:00
  • 1
    ... In any case I think technically this question is off-topic here (because it is not about TeX or LaTeX, but about conventions in mathematical typesetting) and might be more appropriate either at academia.stackexchange.com or math.stackexchange.com. I wouldn't go as far as saying that you are asking completely different questions here, but the initial example and the tag citing combined may have suggested a different direction than you intended to ask about.
    – moewe
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 14:03


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .