There are already many similar questions, unfortunately mine is slightly different. I'd like to indent between the item marker (number, bullet...) and the text. This is easily done with e.g. \item \hspace{3mm}...only that if the line breaks, it doesn't align with the rest above it. (I do have enumitem loaded, if that helps. For normal text \adjustwidth should do the trick, right?) Abusing code formatting:

Not so good
* bla
*    blablablablablablablabla
* bla
*    blablablablablablablabla

1 Answer 1


Having enumitem loaded you can nest itemize-environments to achieve what you're after. The documentation is still helpful (starting on page 6 you'll find section 3.2 Horizontal spacing of labels).

What follows is a highly edited example for your convenience:





    \item First item
        \item[2.] First \emph{nested} item
        \item[3.] Second \emph{nested} item
    \item[4.] Second item

enumitem nested enumerate

  • But that increases itemindent for all items on the list. It must be something inserted after the item itself (like the \hspace example). And it seems the enumitem paragraph you mentioned only covers the former case. Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 11:46
  • @HaukeReddmann, I must have misread your question. Did you state that you needed just one item indented? Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 11:50
  • Well, ideally it shall look like a normal nested itemize env...just with aligned numbers in front, as in my bla example (Luckily, I need it only once, so it wouldn't be that bad if it doesn't work and I could cheat myself to the wanted result with some line breaks and artificial indenting.) Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 16:09
  • @HaukeReddmann, I see. I had to play with the options for a while. I think my edit comes close to what you need. Commented Sep 9, 2020 at 15:01
  • @HaukeReddmann, I have now edited the answer to include the enumerate-environment. Commented Sep 9, 2020 at 15:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .