In a math article one usually writes for a theorem (or proposition or corollary) in latex:

\begin{theorem} \label{theorem1}


Now I can reference to this theorem in the article using \ref{theorem1}. For example I can say:

In \ref{theorem1} we saw that .....

In the article this will be displayed as (when the theorem has number (lets say) 1.6.)

In 1.6 we saw that ....

Question: How can I modify the command \ref{theorem1} so that instead of just "1.6" in the text we see "Theorem 1.6" instead ( Or Proposition or Corollary instead of theorem)?

So the output should be

    In Theorem 1.6 we saw that ....

Of course I can just write "Theorem" before the "\ref{theorem1}" but I wonder whether there is an automatic way to write the theorem (or propositon or corollary) before the number 1.6.

  • Hey @Mare, does nameref{} work? Requires the package with the same name and also hyperref, if I remember correctly. – TVL Jan 17 at 11:37
  • amsmath has nothing to do with theorem names. I'm assuming you meant amsthm, and have changed the tag accordingly. – barbara beeton Jan 17 at 16:22
  • What’s wrong with typing “Theorem \ref{theorem1}” when you want the “Theorem” to appear? – Dave Jan 17 at 21:43

You have two main options:

  • Load the hyperref package and use its \autoref macro instead of the basic \ref macro.

  • Load the cleveref package and use its \cref macro (instead of \ref).

If you load both hyperref and cleveref, hyperref must be loaded first.

For a lot more information about packages that provide various cross-referencing abilities, please see the posting Cross-reference packages: which to use, which conflict?

A basic MWE (minimum working example):

\documentclass{article}  % pick a suitable document class
\usepackage{amsthm}      % or 'ntheorem'

\begin{theorem} \label{theorem1} \dots \end{theorem}

With \verb+\autoref+: \autoref{theorem1}

With \verb+\cref+: \cref{theorem1}

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.