The following code produce the molecule shown in the first picture:


\setchemfig{bond join=true, atom sep=2.5em, bond style={line width=1.pt}}



I'd like to know if it's possible to make better looking unions between the single and the double bonds as shown in the second picture.

enter image description here

  • General recommendation regarding screenshots: use formats with lossless compression such as PNG. JP(E)G's lossy compression sometimes adds artifacts that often hinder readability, especially in typography-related cases of applied TeX.
    – andselisk
    Commented Apr 11, 2021 at 6:31

1 Answer 1


See chemfig manual, section Shifted double bonds:

All double bonds are made up of two line segments, and these segments are drawn on either side of the imaginary line along which a single bond would be drawn. It is possible to shift a double bond so that one of the line segments lies on the imaginary line. The other segment is then shifted above or below the bond. Actually, it is more correct to say “left” or “right” of the imaginary line, as the bond is traversed in the direction of drawing.

To shift the bond to the left, write “=^” and to shift it to the right, write “=_”:

Applied to your MWE:


\setchemfig{bond join=true, atom sep=2.5em, bond style={line width=1.pt}}

Shifted bonds

P. S. If you want to make the structure look IUPAC-compliant, you need to invest some extra work as your style and chemfig defaults are a bit off general recommendations [1, 2]. Same goes for the famous "ACS Document 1996" style (ACS author guidelines (PDF)).


  1. Brecher, J. Graphical Representation of Stereochemical Configuration (IUPAC Recommendations 2006). Pure and Applied Chemistry 2009, 78 (10), 1897–1970. DOI: 10.1351/pac200678101897. (Free Access)
  2. Brecher, J. Graphical Representation Standards for Chemical Structure Diagrams (IUPAC Recommendations 2008). Pure and Applied Chemistry 2009, 80 (2), 277–410. DOI: 10.1351/pac200880020277. (Free Access)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .