I defined a custom length for horizontal separation of subfloats through


and use it on a float by float basis with


but I also need to use such length in a \fpeval calculation, is it possible?

  • Sorry to have misled you! I comment instead of answer when I haven't tested the solution... Jun 10, 2021 at 12:32

1 Answer 1


You might say


Then you can use \halfgap wherever you need to refer to the length.

Don't follow the suggestion to say


because this would fix the value as it is computed when processing the document preamble, whereas \columnsep might change later.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .