I'm doing some picky adjustments to vertical space, so as to make sure lines of text stay in alignment after various skips in vertical space (e.g. I'm adjusting any vertical skips to be multiples of normal text leading). The only problem is, I haven't messed with the default leading values, so I don't know what they are. I can find the value of the leading for normal text with this \message{Leading: \the\onelineskip}. How can I find the leading of other sizes (i.e. \tiny, \Large, \huge, etc.)? I'm using the memoir class, and p.46 of the documentation gives me the point size of different font sizes, but not the leading (probably because they are often changed and dependent on font).

Specific details that may be of use:

  1. I'm using the memoir class.
  2. My \normalsize size is 11pt.
  3. The leading of \normalsize font is 13.6pt. This number comes from the above \message.
  4. I'm using the font BaskervilleF.

TL;DR: How can I find the leading of different font sizes?

  • It is listed in mem11.clo
    – daleif
    Jun 12, 2021 at 16:36
  • @daleif Where can I find that file? Jun 12, 2021 at 17:24
  • 1
    The location can be found via kpsewhich mem11.clo in a terminal
    – daleif
    Jun 12, 2021 at 19:08

1 Answer 1


Just write to the document, not a message to the terminal, and use \baselineskip.

% memfontsprob.tex  SE 600981

\message{Leading: normalsize \the\onelineskip} % to terminal

The normalsize leading is \the\baselineskip  % to document

\Huge The Huge leading is \the\baselineskip\par


enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.